Sunday, May 6, 2012

Caked Gum


Step by step I measure out a night
Spent looking through glass windows
At dimly-lit faces seated around dark wooden tables.
Occasionally, I slow down to appreciate
The graceful flicking of a wrist
Or the courageous placement of a palm,
And my heart smiles in recognition:
Camaraderie in this city of ones,
Conjoined twos and awkward threes.
I jump over puddles reflecting the black sky
And watch for yellow taxis carrying
Melancholy passengers to beds in thin rooms
Where they will succumb to the streets' muted symphony
Wafting through shutters and landing beside tired ears
While I continue marching alongside foreign soldiers.
To the rooftops, I imagine we appear united—
We all have legs, we are all careful,
And lightly place gazes upon each other.
I walk some more, so much myself,
With a transient shadow and recoiling reflections.
I keep my hands in my pockets fingering my phone,
Narrowing my eyes and stiffening my cheeks.
I breathe in their cigarette smoke that I hate to like
Before I descend sticky steps into the subway’s void.
After the humid air congeals on my skin
I hop into a screeching car,
And then I stare at lines and sterile lights,
Pictures and shoes, eyes then eyelids,
And I feel so acutely me,
I feel remarkably divorced,
Yet I long for momentary bondage
And losing my reflection’s wide-eyed interest.
My weary yawn is a silent “City, take me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment